Monday, November 24, 2008

The Blame Game


Ah, the power of winning. Less than a month ago the wishy-washy fans of the Philadelphia area were praising Donovan McNabb, Andy Reid and the Eagles. Today they're openly ripping into player, coach and organization as if someone hit their kid. It's comical. These are the same fans that claim to be the most loyal, proud diehards there are. So much for that reputation. I've heard Philly fans boast about being the most knowledgeable fans in the country. I liken that nonsense to a substance abuser claiming that they don't have a problem. If they must proclaim it so often, who are they trying to prove? Besides, that statement seems pretty ridiculous. How can someone honestly prove such a thing?

Needless to say, I've been embarrassed lately. And it's not because the Eagles have struggled over the last month, or that the Sixers aren't living up to expectations yet, or because the Flyers are starting slow. It's because, generally speaking, Philadelphia fans are crybabies and I'm embarrassed to be associated with a city of sore losers. I consider myself a true sports fan, a student of the game. I support my teams with unwavering loyalty and when I do criticize, it's a fair criticism dealing with the problems. I apologize if that sounded snotty or if you feel that I'm throwing my fellow "supporters" under the bus, but you must understand a situation before you can speak on it.

For instance, my best friend suggested I write a piece about boxing and how the struggling American economy is hurting an old-time sport that's been down for years. Despite the fact that I found it both intriguing and newsworthy, I declined because I know nothing about it and I'd hate to sound misinformed about such an important topic. Meanwhile, I hear many Philly fans who know little or nothing about football, or the NFL for that matter, criticize the Eagles and their current issues.

I've almost reached the point where I can't talk about it. Every time I try, it ends with me getting impatient with one of these clueless homers and snapping at them to the point that they go silent and walk away. If I've done such a thing to you, consider this an apology. I just hope you've learned your lesson. At any rate, I've decided to write about this controversy now because it has reached its climax. The Eagles were throttled by the Ravens yesterday and their starting quarterback was benched at halftime. In the Reid/McNabb era there has never been a more trying time than now.

Today Andy Reid announced that Donovan was starting Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, versus the red-hot Arizona Cardinals. The funny part about this is that they announced it as "breaking news" on ESPN and talk radio in Philadelphia acted as if this was some kind of surprise. Excuse me? In baseball, if a pitcher gets rocked in the the first inning and can't make it out of that frame, he is pulled. In his next scheduled start he returns to the mound. So why the puzzled look when Donovan, the greatest quarterback in Eagles history, is told he will start ahead of career backup A.J. Feeley and the young and restless Kevin Kolb on Thanksgiving? Do you really believe that one of them is better than Donovan McNabb?

What I really love is when I hear a woman rip into the Eagles. Call me a sexist, but please leave football to us ladies. It's like I said before: If you are misinformed, stay away from it. I work at a restaurant in the far northeast of Philadelphia. As I stood near the front door at the beginning of my shift yesterday, two ladies (that had to have been in their seventies at the least) approached me with their heads directed towards the televisions in the bar area. As they walked closer to me, and the door that I was holding for them, I overheard them mumbling about the Eagles. "They're getting killed. That Reid has to go," one of them said. The other responded with, "Yup, and he can take that nigger with him." Wow. I would estimate that these two ladies have no idea what they were talking about.

If you know me at all, I'm sure you know how I feel about that brief dialogue. While I hate to turn this into a racial thing, and you know I could go on for days about that, the racial injustice in this nation plays a huge role in the sports world. When the Eagles win, fans love Donovan. When the Eagles lose, he's a nigger? That thought is wrong is more ways than one. Throughout his career, if Donovan McNabb has done nothing, he's proven that he's the furthest thing from that. I apologize for using that language in my writing. I try to keep it clean, but that actually happened. Look closely the next time you hear someone rip McNabb and check to see if you're looking at a racist.

If you haven't heard, I'm a big Reid/McNabb supporter. But even I know that they've struggled from time to time. From late-game miscues to the questionable playcalling of whomever is making the calls these days (because they'll never tell us), Andy Reid's coaching has been under fire. And while I agree with Coach Reid that great lines win football games, there have been many disputable early-round selections over the last ten years. Being stubborn is okay sometimes. Reid's stubbornness has won us many games over the last decade. But being too stubborn can come off as stupidity. Donovan has had his ups and downs too. Historically, he throws the fewest interceptions in history. But on occasion, he'll throw one that leaves you scratching your head. People mock the way he handles any situation by smiling as if he doesn't care. They say he's too muscular and claim that it directly affects the outcome of games. Of course, D-Mac's biggest knock has been his health. Personally, I don't think injuries are something you can prevent, but the "loyal" fans of Philly must need something to complain about.

Haven't there been more problems in this mediocre season so far? You never hear anyone talk about All-Pro right guard Shawn Andrews being absent from the lineup, or the fact that our potentially Hall of Fame tackles are nearly forty. Or that Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, and L.J. Smith, our starting receivers and tight end from last season have all been injured this season. That's left the team with inexperienced youngsters like rookie DeSean Jackson, second year tight end Brent Celek and a number of slot receivers. We can talk about all the "potential" on the defensive line that hasn't matured yet, or that Brian Dawkins is awful. The last thing people want to do is point a finger at the aging team leader, B-Dawk, but he is a serious liability. Let's talk about Tom Heckert and Andy Reid always leaving the Eagles with a surplus every offseason. Their theory of being thrifty, only spending money on certain positions and always having money left over for a rainy day has left them is good position for ten years. But in case you didn't hear, today is a rainy day. If there was ever a time to give it your all and spend your savings, now's it.

Another thing to consider is that the NFC East is as good as any division in the NFL's history. As of last week the Eagles would have been in first place if they were in the NFC North. I think people forget just how good this division is. The Cowboys are the best in the entire league on paper, the Giants are the best in actuality and the Redskins are a potential playoff team that plays everyone in the East tough. The problem that goes along with that is the fact that not only are the Eagles division foes a little better than they are, they are all younger. Now is the time to get desparate and try to squeeze through that closing window.

My wish this holiday season is that Philadelphia sports fans can be more fair to their teams, read into what the headlines and televisions are saying, and be happy that the Phillies just won a championship. Think positive this winter as the football, basketball and hockey seasons progress. Although you wouldn't know it by talking to the crybabies, this city has some really good sports teams right now. Please end the finger pointing and appreciate what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment